[sclug] debian mailscanner & exim

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:41 UTC 2003

Sorry!

Im running the latest Debian Stable (3.0?), and Exim 3.35.

I have that same file in /etc/init.d/ but on further digging it would appear
that that file is not used (atleast according to Hants Lug Feb 2003
archive), and that it is started every 15 minuts from a cron job
(/etc/cron.d/exim). There is also the cron.daily exim file that cleans logs
etc.

It was also said in the same lug post, that exim starts up upon receiving
mail on port 25.

All of this leaves me a little confused to say the least!

I certainly think the /etc/init.d/exim file is a red herring, as I cant seem
to do anything to exim by /etc/init.d/exim start/stop/restart.

So back to my original question - how to set this up on Debian? It seems to
break the mould when it comes to thinkgs like this, and so most of the
how-to's are a bit hit and miss.

I hope thats made things clearer!

Chris