[sclug] HELP X Mandrake 9.1

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:41 UTC 2003

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Scott Rixon wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I have a bit of a problem and have no idea where to start...
>
> After a power cut last night I have started my Mandrake 9.1 box, all
> looked good on boot.. Yes it did go off without being shut down!
>
> I get the X Login screen, click the user to login etc and all is fine..
> It starts login in and then the screen flicks (As if it is about to
> change res) and goes back to the login screen!
>
> I can login from a command prompt no problem!

Chances are your desktop environment settings are smashed.

At this point, I usually start randomly (re)moving stuff like:

$HOME/.gnome
$HOME/.gnome2*
$HOME/.gconf*
$HOME/.kde
$HOME/.kde2
$HOME/.enlightenment
$HOME/.sawfish
$HOME/.metacity
$HOME/.nautilus

and let the DE build new settings for me from scratch (re-merging any
settings I care about later). I shamefully admit that that's a rather
"Windows-like" approach to fixing it, but IME it's less painful than
debugging it properly.

Both KDE and GNOME need "a broken settings repair wizard" if they're to be
as friendly as they claim to be.

> Help!
> Scott

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?