[sclug] Sticky DNS Glue.

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:42 UTC 2003

'ello Leon

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:58:11PM +0100, Leon Ward wrote:
> I am trying to set up my own DNS server, for argues sake,
> somedomain.co.uk I want to host the server on a host called
> box1.somedomain.co.uk

> somedomain.co.uk 's DNS is currently handled by ns0.anotherdomain.com,
> I need to move my domain off there as soon as I can.

> I have set up bind on a box1.somedomain.co.uk
> I created an A record for ns0.somedomain.co.uk that points at the IP
> of box1.somedomain.co.uk.

> I sent the mail requesting the change for my primary DNS to be
> ns0.somedomain.co.uk, with no luck.

> I have been told that ...
> The DNS names must have a "GLUE" record, which means it has to have reverse
> lookup. This DNS names shows up as:
> box1.somedomain.co.uk not ns0.nardware.co.uk

This shouldn't matter.  nardware eh?  Not somedomain? :)

I note however that in the domain on ns0.nardware.co.uk for
nardware.co.uk the NS records are the ones in whois and don't include
your ns0.nardware.co.uk (which they should if that's what you're telling
Nominet).

> I have asked a few people, who have told me that the reverse lookup is not
> important for a glue record, I have faith in what they say, but would like
> some further opinions from others before I have to change the reverse
> pointer to ns0.somedomain.co.uk or start to argue.

> examples...
[snip]
Yes, as you note in your examples this is a load of rubbish.  It doesn't
have to reverse to the same name as the glue record.  We host a number
of domains for people and Nominet's automaton (its robot that deals with
changes) hasn't batted an eyelid.

For instance greenend.org.uk.

If you want a competent tag holder, we'll be happy to do this for you
and slave from you or just tag hold if you have competent slaves (try
our sales@ address).

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/     "There's no emoticon for /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/  what I'm feeling!" -- Comic /**