[sclug] Richard Stallman in The Guardian

Antony Bartlett akb at akb.me.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:42 UTC 2003

Thanks for posting that information about biological patents.  I was
recently
discussing patents with a friend of mine who's studying them at law school,
and who seemed surprised when I started talking about some of the issues
surounding them being morally and politically contentious.

However, when I later "googled" for information to pass on to her, I found
that the issues with respect to software dominated, even when I tried to
filter it, to such an extent that, until I got you mail, I didn't have
anything
suitable to pass along.

Not that the software issues aren't important, and yet, however ridiculous
the idea that source code can be subject to patents might seem to many
programmers, myself included, and no matter how much more throughly
ridiculous business processes such as Amazon's patented one-click
purchasing might seem:... I doubt that it is putting lives at risk.

So, thanks again.  And since this is my first post here, also:  Hello!
Some of you guys are meeting this Wednesday night in The Back of
Beyond, aren't you?  Hope to be there myself; cya.

    Best regards,

        Antony.