[sclug] KDE startup question ; diffenrces between 7.3 and 8

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:43 UTC 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Mark Smiles wrote:

> Does anyone know the differences in startup scripts between Redhat 7.3
> and RH 8 for KDE ?
>
> I've got problems with KDE not appearing to reach the Login prompt.
>  From what i can see it seems to be referencing an old path in RH 8 but
> i can't find where it is getting this from.
> Advice tfor what to look out for appreciated.

Based on RH8:

The desktop manager, be it gdm, kdm, xdm or whatever is started from
/etc/X11/prefdm. prefdm sources /etc/sysconfig/desktop to get the
$DISPLAYMANAGER variable. It then execs the result of `which kdm` (i.e. runs
the first kdm binary in the path).

Do you have kdm installed?

What happens if you boot in runlevel 3 and run 'startx', both as a normal
user and root?

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?