[sclug] iptables and port forwarding

Patrick Kirk patrick at kirks.net
Sat Oct 25 09:05:46 UTC 2003

lug at assursys.co.uk wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Patrick Kirk wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am trying to run emule behind a firewall and finding it a bit of  a

[...]
> To be fair, I'm not entirely /sure/ how much of that is necessary, but
> that's what I use to do DNAT here.
>
> Remember to add these rules near the top of each chain definition, otherwise
> earlier rules could drop or reject the packets.
>
> Let me know how you get on.

Success!

Emule uses swarming and it punishes those who don't share.  So by fixing
this, my downloads have gone from about 3kB/sec to 55.5 kB/sec.  OF
course that's balanced by uploads that weren't possible until now
(uploads run at 15.6 kB/sec now) but its still well worth it.

Thanks.

--

Best regards,

Patrick Kirk