[sclug] (Probably OT): Is BCS membership worth it?

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:46 UTC 2003

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Andy Arbon wrote:

> First off apologies for the slightly off topic post...
>
> I'm curious to find out how many people on the list are BCS members, and
> whether it's worth becoming a member. Does it actually make a difference?

<bigoted opinion>
I keep looking into joining the BCS, with a view to getting CEng status.

But each time I do, I realise that it's quite a lot of money and that the
BCS seems to be stuck in the past and doesn't really represent its
rank-and-file members terribly well, IMHO.

<http://www.vnunet.com/News/1141103>

<http://www.bcsfinsig.org/events/2002-03/021031.htm>

<http://www.shout99.com/contractors/showarticle.pl?id=1439>

OTOH, if you want to climb up the greasy pole, maybe BCS membership would be
a useful thing... they might even have golf days you can attend!

> Cheers,
> Andy

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?