[sclug] (Probably OT): Is BCS membership worth it?

Spencer Collyer spencer at lasermount.uklinux.net
Sat Oct 25 09:05:46 UTC 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 02:43:23 +0100 (BST), lug at assursys.co.uk wrote:
> <bigoted opinion>
> I keep looking into joining the BCS, with a view to getting CEng status.
>
> But each time I do, I realise that it's quite a lot of money and that
> the BCS seems to be stuck in the past and doesn't really represent its
> rank-and-file members terribly well, IMHO.

As the old joke goes, the BCS is a load of old COBOLers. (No offence
intended to anyone still writing COBOL :-) )

I looked into it many years ago, but decided it just wasn't worth my while
going through the process to get membership status. ('Oh well, you don't
have a CS degree, so you need to work in the industry for 10 years to
qualify').

And it's inactivity with regards to things that actually might affect the
rank-and-file membership (like IR35) made me even more glad I never wasted
my time on it.

Oh, and I've never worked anywhere (in 15 years in computing, permie and
contract) where having BCS membership or C.Eng. status was seen as being
more valuable than actual *experience* at doing the job.

So is it worth it? YMMV, but it certainly wouldn't have been worth it as
far as I was concerned.

--
<<< Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines >>>
9:43pm up 14 days, 2:48, 7 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.03