[sclug] Postgres Installation problem - Woody

Tim Sutton t.sutton at reading.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:46 UTC 2003

Hi

I need to upgrade my postgres install on my woody box. My previous
installation was built from source pg 7.2.x. I did a make uninstall in the
original build dir and am now trying to install the binary deb for 7.3.x.
However the installation process fails as shown below:

apt-get install postgresql
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  postgresql
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 52  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/2977kB of archives. After unpacking 7361kB will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 24658 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking postgresql (from .../postgresql_7.3.3-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/postgresql_7.3.3-1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 128
 /var/cache/apt/archives/postgresql_7.3.3-1_i386.deb

I went through and did a bit more of a thorough clean up from my previous
install (getting rid of init scripts / data dirs / etc.). Still get the same
problem though :-( Has anyone got any ideas how I can get around this / find
out what is causing the problem? I was looking for an apt or dpkg -v or -v -v
option ala ssh to give me a bit more info about what is causing the install
to fail ?

TIA

Tim

- --
Tim Sutton
BDWorld Middleware Programmer
BiodiversityWorld Project
Centre for Plant Diversity & Systematics
School of Plant Sciences
The University of Reading
Reading, RG66AS, UK

Web     :   www.bdworld.org
Phone  :   +44-(0)118-378-6052
Email    :   t.sutton [at] reading.ac.uk
(email preferred method of correspondence)