[sclug] BCS Membership

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at tmdg.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:46 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 17:28, Neil Haughton wrote:

> > I'm curious to find out how many people on the list are BCS members,
> > and whether it's worth becoming a member. Does it actually make a
> > difference?

Well lots of people have have a few non positive things about the BCS

A guy I admire very much is a member.  I think he took membership when
they took 'Anybody the new what a computer was and could make one do
something'. I would not want to detract from meH's talents, knowledge
and expertise the guy was a hacker before they invented hackers. I'm not
sure how I know he was/is a member he never bragged about it.

OTOH.  I went to a customer site once to sort out some problems. The guy
that was there representing the software company was telling me how
marvelous the 'programmer' was.  He was a "member" of the BCS.  ( Now me
I'm a semi illiterate.  I left school with no qualifications. :-) I
looked at the code this guy had written (In BASIC would you believe).
He used techniques that I would not use on a toy computer.  Say no more.

I have for some years been been part of the technical evaluation team
for hiring Software engineers at work.  To be truthful from what I have
seen having a BCS would have a sub zero impact on our evaluation.

I personally think how you handle the interview is far more important.
I.E. practical example of good work no matter how small beats any
letters after your name.

I personally doubt becoming a MBCS will get you a job as such.  Well not
a really techie one anyway.

BUT as they say YMMV.

tom.

--
There are 10 sorts of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't!