[sclug] sendmail dns question.

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at tmdg.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:48 UTC 2003

Hi,

	OK you sendmail and DNS gurus what have I done wrong.

[root at jabog named]# nslookup -querytype=MX triv.org.uk
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
triv.org.uk     mail exchanger = 90 mail.makyo.org.
triv.org.uk     mail exchanger = 10 mail.triv.org.uk.
triv.org.uk     mail exchanger = 80 jabog.tmdg.co.uk.

on jabog.tmdg.co.uk I have added triv.co.uk to the
/etc/mail/relay-domains

The other day someone sent a message to simon at triv.org.uk and I guess
mail.triv.org.uk was off-line or unreachable for some reason.  So the
mail arrived at jabog.tmdg.co.uk and then jabog.tmdg.co.uk sent the mail
to mail.makyo.org who in turn sent it to jabog.tmdg.co.uk  and so the
look continued till it got "too many hops"

So what is wrong?  Surely jabog.tmdg.co.uk should not have sent the mail
to a host whose MX is greater?  (or equal for that matter).

jabog is a name server but not for triv.org.uk.

hostname(1) returns jabog.tmdg.co.uk

So what is wrong?

Tom.

--
There are 10 sorts of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't!