[sclug] sendmail dns question.

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:49 UTC 2003

Hiya Silcon,

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 12:01:24AM +0100, Simon Heywood wrote:
> While I'm on the subject, does anyone know if it's regarded as okay to
> have CNAMES as the target of MX records?

No, it's not.

A quick google finds that RFC1123 says:
      5.2.2  Canonicalization: RFC-821 Section 3.1

         The domain names that a Sender-SMTP sends in MAIL and RCPT
         commands MUST have been  "canonicalized," i.e., they must be
         fully-qualified principal names or domain literals, not
         nicknames or domain abbreviations.  A canonicalized name either
         identifies a host directly or is an MX name; it cannot be a
         CNAME.

Updated by others like RFC2181 which says essentially the same thing.

Simon.

--
oOoOo  "Have you seen a man who's lost his luggage?" -- Suitcase   oOoOo
 oOoOo                                                            oOoOo