[sclug] Procmail and others!!

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:49 UTC 2003

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Scott Rixon wrote:

> I have started looking at Spamassassin. It starts to talk about editing
> your procmail.rc file.. But I don't have one! What calls/looks at the
> procmail file?
>
> I guess fetchmail downloads the mail.. To /var/spool/username. Then
> sendmail?? sends it to my mailbox?

I don't use fetchmail, but I don't believe it involves sendmail at all in
retrieving your mail - it just dumps it directly into your local mailbox
file in /var/spool/username.

When they talk about .procmailrc, they're using it to either run
SpamAssassin itself, or use the information added to the message (e.g.
the X-Spam-Score: header) by it to control what happens to the message
(mark the Subject:, put it in a folder, throw it away, etc.).

If you're using fetchmail, I'm not sure you can do that - but there might
be option to pass each fetched message through procmail or SpamAssassin.

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 6630
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK