[sclug] sendmail dns question.

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at tmdg.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:49 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 23:25, James Fidell wrote:
> Quoting Simon Heywood (simon at triv.org.uk):
>
> > While I'm on the subject, does anyone know if it's regarded as okay to
> > have CNAMES as the target of MX records?
>
> Historically it has not generally been considered a good idea because it
> typically requires multiple DNS queries to find the actual host to which
> the message should be delivered.
>
> Technically however, it is possible and does work.  ISTR AOL causing a
> bit of a fuss by using CNAMEs for MX records some years back.

I know I've had problems where the host given in the MX record was not
the same as the name the system thought it was i.e. what is returned by
the hostname command.  So since then I always used the name the system
thinks it has.  After all it's no good after the event saying it should
have worked.

In much the same way as aztec.houxou.com should take mail for
sclug.org.uk and doesn't.

Tom.
--
There are 10 sorts of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't!