[sclug] Debian Install

David Ginger SLUG at ukGinger.net
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

<snip>
> Without wishing to start a religious war, from the developers (non-kernel
> in my case, non-system software) point of view isn't one of the major
> distributions much the same as the other?  They all have their good and bad
> points.
</snip>

I do'nt want any flames, this is just my "opinion" on a Monday afternoon, and
I do agree with the sentiment you expressed.

I often feel that some of the reasons why person X likes distro Y is not of a
technical nature. The technical reasons are, what my wife calls
"rationalisations". By that she means that people can "feel something" first.
and reasoning comes after that event(s), driven to justify the emotional
expirence.

To give an example, for examples sake

X likes using KDE,  for what ever reason - say "use of colour".
But if you ask X you get replies like :
"Well technicaly its better than Gnome becuase . . blah . . blah . . "

Thats rationalisation, and when newbies are listening, its not very helpful.