[sclug] Recovering gracefully from lost interrupt

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use a zip drive for backups on my debian server. Occassionally it loses
> track of hdd and I get (lots of) messages like this printed to
> /var/log/messages :
>
> Aug  3 06:47:36 appc63 syslogd 1.4.1#11: restart.
> Aug  3 06:47:41 appc63 kernel: hdd: lost interrupt
>
> Does anyone know of a graceful way of sorting this out short of rebooting?

Not an answer to your question, but be careful with this. My Debian
installation corrupted large backups written to zip disk - they came out
the correct length, but garbled content. I strongly suggest reading back
your backups after writing them - unmount the disk and remount before
checking otherwise it'll give you the cached copy and not what's on the
media.

md5sum can be useful here.

Will.