[sclug] Recovering gracefully from lost interrupt

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:19:00AM +0100, Will Dickson wrote:
> Simon Huggins wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 04:23:11PM +0100, Will Dickson wrote:
> >>Tim Sutton wrote:
> >>Not an answer to your question, but be careful with this. My Debian
> >>installation corrupted large backups written to zip disk - they came out
> >Can you reproduce this bug with the same kernel on a different
> >distribution by the way?
> Nope! Various other kernels, both custom and standard, various other
> distros (various versions of SuSE), all OK. This and the other
> hardware / driver oddities I mentioned earlier appear to be specific
> to debian.  I'd report it, except I can't work out what the most
> appropriate package is.

Or specific to the kernel you were running in Debian.

What I mean is can you reproduce it:
	- running the Debian kernel on a different distribution
	  (which I'd expect you would be able to)
	- running the vanilla kernel of the same version on Debian
	- running the vanilla kernel of the same version on something
	  else
Obviously all with the same .config.

If it's a Debian patch issue then the first test will reproduce the
errors and the rest won't.  If it's specific to Debian userland then the
first two would and the third wouldn't.  If it's not at all specific to
Debian then all three will.

I'm only trying to work this out because you seem to be propagating FUD
that Debian eats data and this isn't true IME.

Simon

--
... "Fast, fat computers breed slow, lazy programmers."