[sclug] Recovering gracefully from lost interrupt

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Simon Huggins wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:54:59AM +0100, Will Dickson wrote:
> > Perhaps, although IIRC is was just 2.4.20; I can't remember whether it
> > was Debian's precompiled one or a customised one. (In the latter case,
> > I am familiar with the kernel compile process; I've been compiling
> > customised kernels successfully for several years prior to this
> > incident.)
>
> Distribution kernels are rarely the same as a particular vanilla version
> from kernel.org though.

Most distributions (Debian, Red Hat at least) include a significant number
of patches that fix stability and reliability issues with the vanilla Linus
(Marcelo) kernel. As these patches are picked by people more closely
involved in the kernel development process (and thus, probably more
knowledgable) than myself, I generally use distribution kernels on
production machines. I'll only use custom kernels on non-mission critical
machines, and even then, I'll go to some lengths to include the same set of
patches - checking for obsolence if a patch clashes, and
back/forward-porting if necessary.

Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?