[sclug] Help with e2fsck

Paul Vanlint paul at polyzing.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

I have a server that I ran several services such as dhcp, dns, my cvs
repository etc. The hard drive is divided into ext2 partitions.
I back up the drive regularly, but still, the disk has crashed and I
have lost a couple of days of stuff since my last backup. When I boot,
it goes through the boot sequence, failing when it tries to access init

I want to run e2fsck to see if I can recover the missing files, but I am
not sure exactly what to do, or whether I should just trust e2fsck to do
its thing.

I thought I would just send out a question here to see if I should do
something else first.

I have heard some things about the superblock, but don't really know
what it is.

Any suggestions or tips?

Paul.