[sclug] Data in unknown file format

Douglas Holden listsetc at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 09:21, Rus Foster wrote:

> First thing to try is run "file DATA.Z" to see if recongnises it. Or you
> could just run wine
>
> Rus

Thanks Rus; file does seem to recognise it... any ideas as to what i
should try next? I guess wine is the best option, its just that I have
not got it running on this machine. Also it would be nice to know that I
can get to the data more directly. When Longhorn comes out I expect M$
will provide some sort of emulation for problems like this, so the
easiest path would be to put my faith in them... ;-)

root at libranet:/# /cdrom/Data.z
bash: /cdrom/Data.z: Permission denied

root at libranet:/# sh /cdrom/Data.z
/cdrom/Data.z: /cdrom/Data.z: cannot execute binary file

root at libranet:/# file /cdrom/Data.z
/cdrom/Data.z: data
root at libranet:/#

Doug