[sclug] Data in unknown file format

Douglas Holden listsetc at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:51 UTC 2003

Oh..
well I did RTFM, after posting..
can see file is quite a lot more complex than the name would suggest.
I will have to stop using condemned hardware for Linux so that I can use
emulation.
I can see why text book publishers use proprietary systems though. One
CDROM that looks attractie to me is on offer for ?75, but the book is
probably twice that and then it would be so much easier to copy, so less
sales etc.
I had thought that if I had to buy a PC with an OS installed it would be
better to buy a Mac (OS X) as the data would be accessible for a few
years to come, but the publishers just do not support Macs. So better to
stick to open source.
Cheers and thanks for the advice all
Doug