[sclug] IPCop as a proxy server

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:51 UTC 2003

Can anyone help me with a problem getting IPCop to serve as a proxy
server? V1.3.0 is what I am using. The IPCop documentation is pretty
straight forward and I have done exactly what it says.

I have it running as a firewall (DHCP on the Internet side, 10.10.10.1
on the LAN side) and it does fine with the proxy server option disabled,
but if I enable the proxy server bit and point my browser to the proxy
IP address (10.10.10.1) and port 800 (as per instructions), my browser
cannot connect. IPCop also shows the proxy web server as not running,
even though it also shows it as enabled. If I turn on the transparent
proxy option and point my browser direct to the internet, I still cannot
connect.

The problem is probably that the proxy server part isn't running, but
why not, and what do I do to start it?

I'm a Unix novice, so be gentle with me. ;-)

Neil Haughton