[sclug] Hardware

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:52 UTC 2003

Kristen Cadman wrote:
> I am planning to install Linux on a new computer. I have been attracted
> towards Suse by reputation for good documentation and plenty of resources on
> CDROM.

I like SuSE as well. However, make sure you get 8.2 - 8.0
was a dog.

Have you any suggestions of local suppliers where I can get
either a
> computer without Windows pre-loaded or the parts to put together. I am
> loathe to buy bits from all over the place because I believe that it would
> be difficult to cope with the all too common faulty items.

DOA components are much less common than they used to be; it
might be less of a problem than you believe :-). We (that
is, the company I'm with) build all our own machines, and
have saved a packet over the years due to the creative
recycling (and non-payment of Winblows tax) that this
allows. We use Micro-P (www.micro-p.com) but they are
business-only, which may or may not be a problem for you.
Insight UK (www.insight.com/uk - NB. *not*
www.insight.co.uk) used to be reasonable.

Locally, you could try G-Squared (www.gsquared.net) -
they're off Elgar Rd. Even Maplin do some worthwhile stuff
now, although they tend to cancel product lines at random,
and you definitely want to shop around on price first.

> I have no
> facilities for testing individual assemblies particularly when I am using a
> new lot of software.

Generally it'll either work perfectly or it'll just sit
there :-/.

At the risk of teaching Granny to suck eggs, get yourself an
anti-static wrist strap. Given our climate the actual
requirement is somewhat limited, but it can't hurt, and if
you do get dead kit it may help you navigate past the
first-line call-centre drones when you need to get an RMA. I
also find that the act of wearing it also acts as an
aide-memoire - "this thing is a bit delicate, be careful".

A basic multimeter can be useful as well; eg. testing
front-panel switches and PSU connector voltages in the event
that it won't power-on.

Best of luck!

Will.