[sclug] OT Looking for interesting stories on copyright etc

Douglas Holden listsetc at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:52 UTC 2003

Its summertime and at my work no one can stir themslves to think of
anything serious. I have to find an afternoon's worth of interesting
(and "important") topics. So I am thinking of doing a talk along the
lines of "But information wants to be free", on copyright, intellectual
property or whatever, and asking for ideas. This request is off topic,
so apologies for misuse of the list, as I will not be pushing Open
Source or campaigning against software patents (though these are clearly
interesting).
Any suggestions for interesting stories please? Something like the story
of Mike Batt having to pay ?600000 for cribbing the idea of playing a
minutes silence from the American '50s composer John Cage
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/23/uk.silence/
Cheers
Douglas