[sclug] Connecting a Win2K client to a samba server as anonymous

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:53 UTC 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Andy Arbon wrote:

> I have Samba (3.0) set up and working perfectly among my Linux machines,
> with access for users and read only access for anonymous logins working
> fine.
>
> Now I have a Win2K box that I would like to give access to, but only as
> an anonymous user. Does anyone know how to do this? Trying to connect to
> a share (or even just the server) and providing a blank uname/pwd just
> gives an 'incorrect password or unknown username' error on the Windows
> box. Using the usernames 'guest' 'anonymous' 'nobody' etc. produces the
> same results.
>
> These connection attempts produce no logs on the server, which leads me
> to believe that Windows is lying (surprise surprise) and has not
> actually tried to make the connection at all.
>
> Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it?

Some suggestions:

- Make sure bi-directional communication between the netbios-ssn, netbios-ns
and netbios-dgm ports is allowed by any firewall (that can actually be
tightened a fair bit, but it'll do for now)

- Remember you can use WORKGROUP\USER or DOMAIN\USER syntax to specify an
account on the Samba server.

- You might need to use smbpasswd to add a user and set a password.

- If all else fails, sniff using Ethereal; it can decode the packet payloads
and help you work out what's up.

- If that fails, try asking Phil - he's a bit of a guru when it comes to
Samba. ;-)

> Thanks,
> Andy

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?