[sclug] g++ c++ question

Tim Sutton t.sutton at reading.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:53 UTC 2003

Hi

I am working on the same code both at home and at work. Home computer running
a modified copy of knoppix, work computer running debian woody with unstable
updates.

My project compiles fine at home and on a wind###s pc here at work running
bloodshed dev-cpp (basically g++ based), but at work I get :

dataprocessor.cpp:780: error: ISO C++ forbids variable-size array `

The offending code snippet looks like this:

       int myArrayLengthInt = theClimateVector.size();
       float myClimateArray[myArrayLengthInt];

I seem to have three g++'s on my desktop (the machne giving the compile
error)! :

aps02ts at appc61:~/public_html$ dpkg -l |grep g++
ii  g++            3.3.1-2        The GNU C++ compiler.
ii  g++-2.95       2.95.4-17      The GNU C++ compiler.
ii  g++-3.3        3.3.2-0pre3    The GNU C++ compiler

wheras on my home machine I have:

aps02ts at timlinux:~$ dpkg -l |grep g++
ii  g++            3.2.3-1        The GNU C++ compiler.
ii  g++-3.2        3.2.3-6        The GNU C++ compiler

So I suppose the questions I have are:
1) Did gcc / g++ 3.3 introduce some incompatiblility / stricter standards
checking that is affecting me?
2) Is there a way to turn this behaviou off in kdevelop / g++ ?
3) Failing 2), what do I need to do to get my code to conform? THe only
examples I was able to find on google involved creating an array of pointers
or somesuch - which will be unpleasant and involve a lot of rewriting for me
to do.

Many thanks

Tim

--
Tim Sutton
BDWorld Middleware Programmer

Web     :   www.bdworld.org
Phone  :   +44-(0)118-378-6052
Email    :   t.sutton [at] reading.ac.uk
(email preferred method of correspondence)