[sclug] Case preservation in Samba

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:54 UTC 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Andy Arbon wrote:

> ... Does anyone know ~ the correct configuration options, or if it's
> even possible? In my smb.conf I already have:
> 	preserve case = yes
> 	case sensitive = yes
>
> I haven't been able to find any information on how to get this to work,
> but I also haven't found anything which says it definitely doesn't work.

I've never used this before as SMB is normally not case-sensitive (well,
the servers (/clients (?)) rarely are) so I guess you can expect some
funnies.  Anyway, trying it with a Windows 2000 client, mapping a share
off of Samba (2.2.8a onto ext2) with the above two options, I get:

  [H:\] echo mince > monce

  [H:\] type Monce

  [H:\] type monce
  mince

So that seems to be doing what it's supposed to.

Are you sure the problem isn't in the smbfs client, rather than the server
(since my tests above seem to imply Samba is doing what it should, even
with a Windows client)?

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 6630
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK