[sclug] isp

Antony Bartlett akb at akb.me.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:54 UTC 2003

Hi Peter,

> 1.which ISP will be compatible with Linux (SuSE) dial-up and/or
broadband.?

I'm new to Linux too.  This was my problem last month
(well - actually I already had BT broadband, and was trying to get
Linux to use that)

Internet protocols are so standard these days - in that sense any
ISP'll do.  But I get the impression you'd prefer one that's Linux
friendly - maybe someone else on this list will be able to recommend
one - I can't - personally I don't feel any need for one because I dual boot
into Windows and any service provider problems that I might
encounter, are obviously going to bugger my internet connection
in both OSes.

No, the problem's hardware.  Not so much with dial-up, because
modem protocols are all so standard these days too - hell, Linux
can even talk to WinModems (says it can, anyway, I've not actually
tried one).  Besides, you can get a dial-up modem for a tenner,
so who cares.

I would say that the only area you have to watch is with Broadband
hardware.  When I tried to get my BT Broadband connection working
last month the best advice (see below) that I could get here, was to
circumvent the problem by getting an ADSL router instead of an
ADSL modem.  Which I did -
http://www.sclug.org.uk/pipermail/sclug/2003-August/000865.html
 - and it worked for me very nicely (and provides some basic
security too).

I wish you similar luck with whatever solution you decide to go for.

    Best regards,

        Antony