[sclug] ultimate ftp security

Leon Ward leon.ward at added-dimension.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:54 UTC 2003

RH 9 eh?

	IIRC RH9 uses xinetd, a more secure replacement for inetd, as you
mention upgrade, maybe this is installed on your system now.

Take a look in /etc/xinetd.d/<daemonname>
Where daemonname is the name of the ftpd you use.
The default action with insecure daemons (like ftpd + telnetd) is to add
them to xinetd disabled.

--example--
[nard at leo nard]$ cat /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd
# default: off
#       normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for authentication.
service ftp
{
        disable = yes    <---- This line.
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/vsftpd
        nice                    = 10
}
[nard at leo nard]$

restart / reload xinetd after making a change
#/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

On another point, take a look at ssh, scp and sftp as replacements for ftp
and telnet. The are far more secure and versatile replacements.

-Leon