[sclug] Cheap low-end servers

Simon Heywood simon at triv.org.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:54 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 06:07:36PM +0100, Rus Foster wrote:
> Well www.sterlingxs.co.uk have always done me well. ALso www.mini-itx.com
> might be worth a look though not laptops

I've been eyeing up one or two of the boxes on http://linitx.com/ for a
new desktop.

I now wish I'd already acquired one, since the Red Hat partition on my
(nine-month-old) laptop decided to paste some random ELF binary over
/etc/fstab.... :-/

The Red Hat installation program reckons there are bad blocks on the
drive (but won't tell me where they are) and advises me not to use the
disk. However, an e2fsck bad block (write) test didn't pick up anything
on the first run (I had to power the machine down so didn't see the
whole thing finish). Any suggestions...?

S.