[sclug] Desktop distro recommendations

Patrick Kirk patrick at kirks.net
Sun Apr 4 23:29:58 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Just installed Linux on my desktop for the first time in years.  Its
Debian Sarge and X didn't start.  No sound or USB mouse either. Now I
know I could start wading through logs looking for clues but this is
2004, I did 2/3 of that in the 90s and hated doing it then and I'm too
old to go through all that again.

Can anyone recommend a desktop distro that meets the following criteria:

1. Recognises a Nvidia card and is capable of getting at least 1024x768
without me spending hours on Google.  Even Windows 95 could get its gui
started so I really do not want to muck around with X servers that don't
start without manual intervention.

2. Recognises a SIS 730 motherboard that Win 2k recognised in 1999 and
just loads its sound system without asking me any questions.  I hate the
whole idea of understanding how sound works.  It should just work.

3. Sees a USB mouse during installation and installs it without asking
me endless "Is your mouse on /dev/ps/aux or /dev/pt/mouse or
/dev/ttySn?" questions.

I know I could get Debian working if I worked for a few days at it. But
the very idea of configuring X brings back painful memories of Linux in
the 90s and I'm sure things have moved on!

Thanks.

Patrick