[sclug] Desktop distro recommendations

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 09:21:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Chris Aitken wrote:

> Nvidia have released the source code for their drivers

No, they have not.

What they have released is a great gob of object code (about 1MByte, IIRC)
that is linked with a little glue code and runs in kernel space as a module.

In theory, the glue code should ensure that the driver continues to work
with future kernels (although the glue code may need hacking) and this has
been borne out - SO FAR. I'm not sure I'd want to invest 300GBP+ in an
nVidia card with the assumption it will continue to work with all future
Linux kernels though.

> HTH
> Chris

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?