[sclug] Desktop distro recommendations

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 10:07:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Chris Aitken wrote:

> Matt wrote:
> >* Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk> [2004-04-05 10:09:06]:
> >>In theory, the glue code should ensure that the driver continues to work
> >>with future kernels (although the glue code may need hacking) and this has
> >>been borne out - SO FAR. I'm not sure I'd want to invest 300GBP+ in an
> >>nVidia card with the assumption it will continue to work with all future
> >>Linux kernels though.
> >>

> >If you're the sort of person who spends 300 quid on a graphics card,
> >you're probably also the sort of person who'll buy a new one every six
> >months just to keep up. :-)
> >
> >Matt
>
> Touche!

Not really - Matt knows me in person, and knows that I buy bottom of the
range video cards because I don't care about 3D game performance (pretty
much the only reason to buy any card over ~40GBP these days).

The most expensive card I've ever bought was a 2MByte Diamond S3 Vision864
card back in 1995 for 130GBP+VAT. Since then, it's been a Diamond nVidia
Riva128 (60GBP), ATI Rage128 (60GBP), Inno3D nVidia Geforce 4 MX440 (30GBP)
and GigaByte Radeon 7500 (30GBP). The only one I've been disappointed with
is the Inno3D card - I'm pretty sure there's a manufacturing mistake which
gives the picture a yellow-ish tinge, and also the picture is pretty soft
over 1024x768 (I have a 21" Trinitron monitor that I normally run at
1600x1200 at 75Hz). I gather this problem applies to most of the cheap
nVidia-based cards.

> Chris

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?