[sclug] small, quiet things

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Mon Apr 5 13:08:47 UTC 2004

* Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> [2004-04-05 13:39:39]:
> Hiya Matt,
>
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 01:26:02AM +0100, Matt wrote:
> > * Simon Heywood <simon at triv.org.uk> [2004-04-04 21:26:39]:
> > > Has anyone here encountered one of these boards?
> > The only problem with these older boards is the "is it a i686 or not"
> > CPU, which means you need to use a distro that doesn't turn on i686
> > instructions.
>
> I thought the issue was that CMOV was optional in the i686 spec?

Yup, that's the crux of it. gcc i686 optimisations use CMOV
unconditionally so stuff randomly stops working on the older VIA chips.

> > The later (Nehemiah?) CPU's used on the various 'M' boards have the
> > all-important CMOV instruction so I think i686 instructions are okay
> > to use. I think the graphics chip is also different, but apart from
> > that, most of the hardware should be the same.
>
> Debian had an issue with libcrypto but now puts stuff in
> /usr/lib/i686/cmov so it would fall back to the /usr/lib/i586 version on
> the non-supporting platforms.

Yeah, I noticed Debian was doing something like this. Interesting. I
guess if you're running Debian you should be okay then.

Matt
--
"Accept anything. Then explain it your way."