[sclug] Motherboards and SATA

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Mon Apr 5 18:38:04 UTC 2004

* Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk> [2004-04-05 19:08:30]:

> I (try to) spend my money with companies that don't have broken business
> models.

It's odd, Adaptec appear to be completely behind development of drivers
for their SCSI and RAID adapters, and at least with the former, appear
to have been for quite a while. I've only ever purchased Adaptec cards
for x86 boxen and they've always worked flawlessly under Linux and *BSD,
(usually because it's the same multi-platform driver), even Windows too
if I'm honest and have memory that goes back that far :-)

I think for some of these 'consumer' products such as SATA and USB, they
appear to be just rebadging third party products/controllers rather than
brewing their own hardware, which may explain the difference in driver
quality/availability.

Matt
--
"Have you got any other pirate memory games?"