[sclug] Spring cleaning

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Fri Apr 16 14:46:26 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 13:26, Matt wrote:
[...]
> > Actually, one thing I'd really rather like to do is the reverse: use a
> > Linux kernel (with the large amount of supported hardware) with the BSD
> > userland (which is small and lightweight and configurable and ideally
> > suited for embedded systems). Doesn't seem to be possible, though...
>
> *BSD seems to work quite well on embedded systems, particularly the
> infamous Soekris boards. Any specific hardware support you require?
>
> What other userspace tools are you after that couldn't be achieved with
> something like for example, busybox?

This was for a media player project, based around a mini-ITX with a Hauppauge
DVB card. None of the BSDs seemed to have a DVB driver, so I had to use
Linux. Conversely, I couldn't find any configurable
build-everything-from-one-tree Linux userland setups. Building everything
manually and putting individual binaries piecemeal onto the CD is yucky.

In terms of software needed, I wanted mplayer, dvbtools, a kdrive-based X
server, and a bunch of small custom programs to glue it all together. With
BSD, building all of this would be trivial. With Linux, it's ghastly.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+
+- www.cowlark.com --+