[sclug] Spring cleaning

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Fri Apr 16 17:29:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 03:45:54PM +0100, David Given wrote:
> This was for a media player project, based around a mini-ITX with a
> Hauppauge DVB card. None of the BSDs seemed to have a DVB driver, so I
> had to use Linux. Conversely, I couldn't find any configurable
> build-everything-from-one-tree Linux userland setups. Building
> everything manually and putting individual binaries piecemeal onto the
> CD is yucky.

> In terms of software needed, I wanted mplayer, dvbtools, a kdrive-based X
> server, and a bunch of small custom programs to glue it all together. With
> BSD, building all of this would be trivial. With Linux, it's ghastly.

Eh what?  Build everything?  Er, why?  :)

I think I'd rather watch paint dry than watch X compile and you
certainly wouldn't want to do the building on the mini-itx box.  I
haven't tried a kdrive X server but I'm told X needs about 2GB of disk
to build.

That's why distros exist I thought - to save you having to repetitively
build everything yourself (and to create packages for all the
dependencies you need and somehow link them together etc).

Why did you pick mplayer over xine OOI?

--
Simon Huggins  \ "Haven't you ever seen a dragon being arrested before?"
                \ - Capt Vimes