[sclug] GNU on Quirky Architecture

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Mon Apr 26 10:15:39 UTC 2004

* erik.chakravarty at accenture.com <erik.chakravarty at accenture.com> [2004-04-26 10:36:27]:
> Hey folks
>
> Been thinking seriously about getting hold of some non-Intel stuff to
> install Linux on
>
> I recently tried to get this MicroVAX 3800 from some guy in the States
> who was giving it away but it was already gone.
>
> Anyone know of a place I can go to to get hold of an old VAX, or DEC
> Alpha (or something equally weird and supported)? A VAXStation would be
> ideal actually - it'd be cool to have graphics :^).
>
> If you know your datacenter at work has some of this old stuff kicking
> about - anyone willing to find out if they can sell/(give?) one to a
> penguin-friendly consultant?

Hmm, if you want to try weird old architectures, you're playing with the
wrong OS IMHO:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/

(Supports nearly all the 'proper weird' Alpha and VAX hardware, as
opposed to Linux supporting only a few, and suffers less !x86 bit-rot)

HTH :-P

Matt
--
"Phased plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Hey, just what you see, pal."