[sclug] Re: make install

Taiyo Rawle taiyo_rawle at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 16:56:31 UTC 2004

 --- Major Stuart <stuartmajor at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Taiyo.  Intalled the 'make' rpm package and
> then tried to use 'make install' and back cam the
> message:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
>
> Any further thoughts?

did you run the configure script? (I'm assuming that
you're trying to install a package from source here -
please correct me if I'm wrong)

The "normal" way of installing such packages is to cd
into the toplevel directory and run

$ ./configure
$ make
$ (as root) make intall

and after a successful install a
$ make clean
to remove all the junk that the build process created.

To later uninstall the package run
$ make uninstall

the configure script creates the makefiles that
contain the rule(s) to make "install". Usually
there'll be some text files called "INSTALL" and
"README" in the same directory that give information
about the specifics of installing the package.

Hopefully the configure script won't complain about
failed dependancies and what not, else it can get very
messy..

Good luck!

-Taiyo