[sclug] udev vs Zip drive

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 22:10:55 UTC 2004

Matt wrote:

> Try the following:
>
> mknod /dev/hdd4 b X Y
> chown user:group /dev/hdd4
> chmod XYZ /dev/hdd4
>
> cp -p /dev/hdd4 /etc/udev/devices/

Thx for that. My alternative solution - /dev.udev-sucks/hdd4 - seems to
be working, but I'll try yours as well :-)

>>The other wierdness which might be related is that I've got
>>ide-floppy complaining in dmesg that there's no disk in the
>>drive, but it's not in lsmod, and if I modprobe ide-floppy,
>> modprobe can't find the module!

Turns out that ide-floppy is compiled into the SuSE kernel rather than
being a module; wasn't expecting that. I've built a custom kernel now
with ide-floppy as a module, which seems to have shut it up.

> My IDE zip drive does/did that all the time, a patch was introduced into
> the kernel at some point to shut it up. AFAIK those messages are
> harmless anyway, (if you really don't have a disk in the drive :-).

Indeed, but annoying! Ide-floppy in 2.6 appears to have developed some
issues.

Will.