Re: [sclug] anyone want to build a simple website for £100?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Mon Dec 13 00:47:08 UTC 2004

Chris Aitken wrote:
>>Depends on the market: if the image is important (e.g. hiring
>>marquees direct to the toffs for posh weddings) he'll prolly
>>do better with a swish design, and have to pay appropriate
>>dosh for it. If he's hiring to the outdoor-events trade then
>>something that conveys the basic info should do. (In each
>>case, modulo getting the search engine hits, though possibly
>>less important for the latter as more of his business may be
>>personal contacts.)
>>
>>Also if he's starting up on his own then ?100 is a big outlay
>>for something which is a bit speculative as to whether it's
>>going to get him results. If he finds it useful he can always
>>pay for a better design later.
>>
>>Anyhow thanks for the info: I'll pass it on and he can decide
>>what he wants/can afford.
>

> Chances are someone charging only ?100 won't have the knowledge to do the
> 'proper' job, with xhtml/CSS to correct standards etc. And it?s the way
> things are coded now that seem to win google over.

Somebody emailed me offering to do it for the suggested figure. I looked
at his own web page[1] and it seemed quite tidily designed, the source
itself was tidily formatted, and errors reported by validator.w3c.org
were 11 instances of missing alt tags for images, which is not what
you'd expect of a professional web designer but nothing like a lot of
the horrors Out There. Overall I imagine it would be OK for Marquee Man.

[1] it'd be a bit easier to discuss this if he'd emailed the list but
since he didn't I won't post URLs in public.

--
John Stumbles                                      mobile 0780 866 8204
plumbing:heating:electrical:property maintenance     home 0118 954 2406