[sclug] Problems with eth0

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Thu Dec 23 13:22:58 UTC 2004

On Thursday 23 Dec 2004 13:08, Mat Hunt wrote:
> I have an acer 1800 series and every time it boots up it hangs on eth0 and
> fails on that point. Any idea what is wrong?

Could it be trying to find a dhcp server and failing? It would probably sit
and wait for some time searching (hence the hang).

If you set your network address statically, rather than by dhcp, change your
network configuration using whatever tool your distro uses.

If you mean to use dhcp to find the network address, then once you can get to
a shell, do this:

$ su -
 (type in root password)
$ dhcpcd
OR
$ dhcp-client

Your distro should have one of those two programs, each being a client to
connect to a dhcp server. If that fails, you need to figure out why your box
can't find your dhcp server (like a router or modem). If it works, check your
network configuration to see why it isn't working on boot.

Regards,
Tom