[sclug] video screen capture

Jonathan H N Chin jc254 at newton.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 19:13:57 UTC 2004

simon wrote:
> I'm trying to find a way of recording a video of a GUI program in use,
> for a demo where I can't get a physical connection to the network that
> the program uses.
>
> I've seen xvidcap, which I've been having a few problems with
> (segfaults, mostly); I wondered if any of you have tried this sort of
> thing before and used xvidcap or (better) something else.

If xvidcap isn't working, perhaps you could try VNC?

Assuming VNC provides adequate video performance for your application,
it appears that programs exist to record VNC sessions. For example,
a quick google finds:

    http://www.sodan.org/~penny/vncrec/
    http://cyberelk.net/tim/rfbproxy/

-jonathan

--
Jonathan H N Chin, 1 dan | deputy computer | Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK
<jc254 at newton.cam.ac.uk> | systems mangler | tel/fax: +44 1223 767091/330508

                "respondeo etsi mutabor" --Rosenstock-Huessy