[sclug] CSS

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Thu Feb 12 21:27:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Smiles, Mark (Mark) wrote:

> On the subject of browser standards , how do you rate the latest Mozilla
> 1.6?

Chipping in here on browsers, I've been using Mozilla Firebird for a few
months now and upgraded to Firefox this week; I use Safari on my Mac.  The
only thing I use IE for now is Windows Update.  [I use Linux on servers
but rarely on the desktop.]

There was a point last year when Firebird replaced IE on my Quick Launch
bar in Windows and Safari replaced IE on my MacOS X Dock (I was using them
both for a while before that but I would occasionally pop back to IE for
some pages - that doesn't happen any more).

A colleague uses Mozilla exclusively on his Windows desktop (I use
Firebird/fox because I just want the browser and not the email/news/etc.).

I find both of them better in terms of UI, speed and the browser
rendering/operation itself.

I usually advocate conversion to other people, too.  The one problem is
that, in Windows, you still need to patch IE because you can be affected
by IE problems whether you're using it or not as your browser.

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK