[sclug] Re: sclug Digest, Vol 5, Issue 18

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at tmdg.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 09:22:40 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 17:19, Neil Haughton wrote:
> >Does anyone else use IPCop?
> >

> I'm using it, V1.3.0 with all the patches. I use it as a packet filter
> and proxy server, but  I've never tried VPN though.
>
> I was reading today in one of the Linux mags that Smoothwall Express is
> much better/easier-to-use.

I think like most things 'better' is very subjective.  I'm also of the
humble opinion that 'easier-to-use' is subjective too.  I find IPCop
easy to use and I don't see how you can make much easier. Unless you
have a better way to navigate your way around.

My first Firewall was a homebrew job basically i just install the
absolute minimum system I could and built my own ipchains rules.
That was never very successful as it needed constant tweaking.  So then
I found a pre-written set of rules that worked fine  but took an age to
set up the ipchains rules each time you booted the system.

Then I was told about IPCop it seemed to fit the bill and it booted very
quickly.   So here I am today running IPCop cos it does what I want.
:-)   I'm eagerly awaiting the release of IPCop 1.4 cos it has support
for a Blue LAN (Wireless).  I've tried out the alpha release and I think
it will do me very nicely. :-)

Tom.
--
main(int c,char **v){long x;while(--c){sscanf(*++v,"%li",&x);
printf("Decimal = %ld\nHex = 0x%lx\nOctal = 0%lo\n",x,x,x);}}