[sclug] Network filesystems and printing

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 29 11:57:51 UTC 2004

ATM I have a heterogenous (W2K / linux) LAN which uses SMB /
Samba for file and print sharing (was LPD, now CUPS). It all
works pretty well - kudos to the Samba team, especially
since their implementation of M$'s protokludge seems to be
more reliable than M$'s :-)

Shortly I intend to ditch the W2K part, giving a linux-only
network. (The W2K machine is going to become dual-boot, and
it won't need to share while in W2K).

This gives me the opportunity to ditch the SMB compatibility
protocol and move to a pure unix setup, eg using NFS and
CUPS / IPP. OTOH I've heard some nasty things about NFS as well.

So, is this a good idea?

TIA

Will.