[sclug] Partitioning schemes

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 29 17:40:18 UTC 2004

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:30:00 +0000
> Will Dickson <wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I am thinking that this will map as follows:
>>
>>C: = /
>>D: = /opt/[games] and / or /usr/[games] - I'm not sure
>>whether I'll always be able to choose
>>E: = /opt (nearly all the apps I care about are written in
>>Java and will go where they're put)
>>F: = /packages (non-standard I know, but hey)
>>G: = /home/me
>

> So where were you planning to install Win2K? Although I think I know
> what you mean, it's a little confusing to refer to "G:" as "/home/me",
> but I assume that you mean the partition that is currently "G:".

I didn't explain that very well - the list was intended to
show my understanding of where the linux equivalents to my
existing drives would sit, rather than anything more detailed.

> I agree with that. On all the servers and workstations I manage, /,
> /usr and /opt are all in the same partition. From a server perspective,
> I always put /var in its own partition because that is where logfiles
> go, and I don't want an unexpectedly large log file filling up the root
> partition, but this may not be so important for you.

This is a workstation, so large logfiles aren't an issue.

> You don't say how large your disk it, but if I were in your situation
> I'd do something like this:
>
> /dev/hda1 - 2-5Gb - Windows plus games
> /dev/hda2 - 5-10Gb - /
> /dev/hda3 - 512Mb-1G - swap
> /dev/hda5 - 2-5Gb - /var
> /dev/hda6 - rest - /home
>
> That may not be entirely appropriate for you, but it's a starting point
> at least.

Thanks for that. My plan is to get a new 80GB drive and
arrange it something like:

/dev/hda1  5 GB windows
/dev/hda2  1 GB swap (faster access near start of disk)
/dev/hda3 42 GB / (nice lucky number :-)
/dev/hda5 16 GB windoze games (I play FPS's, and they're
getting *big* these days)
/dev/hda6  4 GB /home (guaranteed to fit on a DVD, which is
how I do backups)
/dev/hda7  5 GB /packages (will mostly fit on a DVD, or
encourage me to de-cruft it fairly regularly)
/dev/hda8  1 GB /share (a FAT32 partition used to transfer
data between the two installations)

Total 73GB - should allow enough slack for boundary issues etc.

The current 40GB drive will stay as-is in case it all goes
horribly wrong, and get recycled when I'm sure eveything's OK.

Will.