[sclug] Happy New Year (Was: Ways of updating a web site)

Antony Bartlett akb at akb.me.uk
Thu Jan 1 22:25:50 UTC 2004

Happy New Year, everyone!
Before I went off to a new year party, I'd managed to get as far as
Chapter 6 of building Linux From Stratch without any apparent mishaps -
which I reckon is pretty reasonable going.  I still feel like a newbie
here, but I do think some of the bash tricks that it uses may have
rubbed off on me.  Now it looks like I'm going to be playing with Zope
for a while instead.  It looks pretty cool, thanks for the suggestion
Pieter!

Plone (which sits on top of Zope) seems to do everything that I am
looking for (and a whole bunch of other things besides), out of the box
- except that knowledge of a markup language is required to edit
content.  Then I found Epoz - a WYSIWYG editor add-on for it...
unfortunately, while I was playing with Epoz I managed to accidently
link to picture on my local machine instead of uploading it... if I can
make that mistake then I don't think we've quite reached beginner level
yet, but I can concieve of a modification that will make adding images a
whole lot friendlier, so maybe I'll have a peek at the code for Epoz next.

I can see delving into the depths of Zope in order to better understand
it taking some time (and I don't know where to start), especially in
view of the fact that I don't know any DHTML or Python (yet) - but these
things usually prove to be pretty enjoyable once I get going.  I guess
that's what it's all about really.

    Best wishes,

       Antony