[sclug] PDA's?

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Sun Jan 4 03:01:56 UTC 2004

* Graham Balharrie <graham at hollymoon.co.uk> [2004-01-04 00:58:49]:

> I'm after buying a new pda (I have a Palm3x currently, and its pants..)
> And I have become interested in a Sharp Zaurus...
>
> Does anyone have any...
> X   info/opinions on them?

Yup, got a 5500 here, works great. The only thing I miss on my Palm was
the better battery life. What can't you do with one? Not found anything
within reason yet; watch movies, play music, sniff WiFi networks, use as
a serial terminal, write code, etc. all possible.

> x   sites to purchase one?  second hand or new?

http://www.expansys.com/ had them last time I checked. They had both new
ones and Sharp reconditioned ones available.

> X   sites with downloadable software?

I'm running OpenZaurus on mine, so there's a repository of software
packages to install from automatically.

> I currently have a Nokia 3650 with bluetooth, and a wireless network,
> so i'll be interested in trying the bluetooth and wifi connectivity
> options...

Bluetooth is a bit fiddly still, last time I checked. But WiFi seems to
work fine, I have a Buffalo CF card that has a fairly decent range.

Oh, and don't get a SanDisk SD card for it.

HTH

Matt
--
"Everything has to be somewhere and nothing can ever be anywhere other
than where it is."