[sclug] Mail

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 12:14:36 UTC 2004

I have recently done something similar.  I had 2 windows machines at
home plus a linux server; one of the windows machines had Outlook 98 on
it.

I've set up the linux box so that it uses fetchmail to get mail from my
3 ISP POP3 accounts, uses Postfix (because that's what came with
Mandrake 9.0) to forward this to Procmail.  Procmail then invokes
SpamAssassin to weed out the usual crud, and puts the mails into an
IMAP server (UW Imap) using c-client mbox format.  Mails that aren't
spam also get forwarded to this yahoo account so I can read them at
work.

This approach had several advantages:

1. Any machine in the house can now access the same mail
2. I get to filter out my spam
3. Once I'd configured Outlook to recognise the IMAP server I could
then copy all my old emails to it so that they were available
everywhere too.

The only disadvantages I've encountered are (a) the handy "you replied
on such-and-such date" messages at the top of emails are no longer
there, and you can no longer have folders in outlook that contain both
subfolders and messages - they must either contain subfolders only or
messages only.

The trickiest bit was getting postfix secured so that it didn't act as
an open relay yet allowed fetchmail to push messages through.

I'm happy to provide more details if you want.

Can't really help with Webmin - mine's always worked perfectly - except
to suggest obvious things like upgrading to latest version.

James.

 --- tim <tim at holmes.name> wrote: > Hi all